10 Tips to Secure Magento E-Commerce Website
Magento is one of the most popular platforms in the e-commerce industry. Due to this, it is also prone to online threats and attacks. Therefore it is of at most importance to keep your Magento website secure to avoid any such attacks. The Security end of your website is as important and relevant as the business end or management end. Many Magento website owners tend to overlook this fact until it is too late, thereby suffering the major loss of business. Magento offers numerous extensions and settings which help better secure your website. Another solution is to hire a Magento developer from a Magento development company specializing in security threats. But there are also various tips and tricks you can use to keep your Magento website safe and secure. So here are 10 tips to secure Magento e-commerce website-
1) Unique passwords – Using your pet’s name as your password may seem like a great idea considering how easy it is to remember, but this could be farther from the truth. It is always preferable to use randomly generated passwords that aren’t easy to crack. Some tips to create strong and unique passwords are given below –
- Always use between 10-15 characters.
- Don’t use passwords already in use on your e-mail or social media accounts.
- Avoid using your own name or the company’s name in the password.
- Use symbols, numbers and capital letters in your password.
- Frequently update your password, preferably every 90 days.
2) The latest version of Magento – Always keep your Magento updated. New updates offer better security from newer online threats. Magento website keeps you notified about all the latest updates or you may even consult a Magento development company to know the best strategy to proceed. They also tend to introduce security patches between updates. Keep them updated as well.
3) Configure Admin path – Using the default admin path makes it easier for cyber criminals to hack into your website. Changing the default admin path adds another layer of protection to your Magento website. This also helps to keep your credentials secure. One way to do so is –
System Config Admin Admin base URL Use custom admin path Click ‘yes’
4) Encrypted pages – Sending sensitive and critical information like your credentials over unencrypted connections can provide easy access to hackers. They often tend to attack unsecured connections and one to tackle this problem is through secure URL’s. Magento allows you to create secure URL’s through this setting –
System Config Web select ‘Secure’ tab ‘use secure URL’s in frontend’/ ‘use secure URL’s in admin specify ‘yes’ for both
5) Correct file permissions – To prevent your Magento website from further security threats you must grant proper file permissions. Magento requires file permission for each directory and file. Keeping it secure results in a lower possibility of hacking. Hire Magento developer to help organize proper file permissions for your website. Also, try and monitor the admin roles and privileges. Provide admin privileges to select few for a selected period of time and if you detect any abnormalities, remove their privileges.
6) Secure server – This is one of the most overlooked factors while securing Magento websites. Having a secure server environment is necessary for the complete protection of your website. Some key tips for ensuring a secure server environment are –
Understand the security protocols in place by talking to your web host.
Make sure no unnecessary software’s are running on the server.
Secure protocols should be in use for communication (HTTPS, SSH etc.).
7) Genuine security extensions – Magento offers some excellent security extensions for you to create a safe and secure website. These extensions are free of cost but not all of them suit your security demands in the same manner. Hire a Magento developer to compare ratings and customer reviews to choose the extensions best suited to your demands. Some verified Magento security extensions are given below –
- Spam killer – Provides extensive spam comment removal.
- Mega firewall – Blacklists security violators and adds ninja firewalls.
- Mega scanner – Scans your store for vulnerabilities.
8) Use high-quality anti-virus – Your run off the mill free anti-virus might be sufficient for domestic PC’s but on an enterprise level you need better protection from various online threats. Consult with your Magento development company to choose the best anti-virus solutions for your website. They plug security leaks and prevent sensitive information from getting pilfered. Also, always keep your anti-virus updated to provide better protection from newer online threats.
9) Create backup data – Try to take a backup of your database and files on a regular basis. So that in the unfortunate event of a security breach your website should still remain up. Move your backup data and files to a separate server preferably a cloud-based service like amazon s3. Also, keep an offline backup of your Magento files and data. Remember to do this on a regular basis to be prepared for the worst case scenario(if it ever occurs).
10) Get your site reviewed – the above-mentioned tips may help you create a more secure website, but it is always better to have a professional opinion on such matters. Magento development companies provide better services by reviewing your Magento website. They are aware of current security trends and will be able to spot security loopholes in your Magento store. They will implement security tests to identify flawed application codes and detect SQL injections. Their expertise in this matter helps you have a significantly safer website.
Summary – Any given website cannot be 100% safe from online threats. That’s the reality of it. But what we can do is create a safe, secure and well-layered website in such a manner that it prevents the majority of attacks from taking place. The main purpose of a website is to give a satisfactory and consistent experience to its users and if you are able to implement the aforementioned tips then your website will continue to remain online for many days to come. Always remember, the security of your website is as important as its business or management.